Defending Computer & Sex Crimes in South Carolina
The Michael Jeffcoat Firm is dedicated to defending people who are accused of sex and internet crimes (such as criminal sexual conduct, lewd act, and possession of child pornography). We fight to protect our clients’ constitutional rights, reputation, and freedom. The penalties and collateral consequences for sex and internet crimes are severe and can last a lifetime (Sex offender registry, GPS monitoring, and involuntary commitment under the Sexually Violent Predator Act).
The sad and unfortunate reality is that false accusations occur in sex cases and that innocent people are wrongly arrested for a crime they did not commit. Those accused of a sex or internet offense deserve a lawyer who is knowledgeable on the law, experienced in the courtroom, and understands the procedures used by police and prosecutors to obtain a conviction. Hiring a criminal defense lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on an advertisement. Please review our qualifications and experience and contact us about scheduling a free and confidential case review.
***“Please note that any result achieved on behalf of a client in one matter does not necessarily indicate that similar results can be obtained for other clients.”
INTERNET AND SEX CASES WE HANDLE
- Criminal Sexual Conduct (CSC)
- Possession of child pornography
- Disseminating obscenity
- Exploitation of a minor
- Failure to register as a sex offender
- Indecent exposure
- Lewd act
- Peeping Tom
- Sex offender registry
WHAT THE JEFFCOAT FIRM CAN DO FOR YOU
- We can immediately begin your defense by sending a letter of representation (do not talk to my client letter) to the police and prosecutor and by filing a motion for discovery (a request for all of the information that the Government will try to use against you).
- Prompt and personalized service with an emphasis on communication about your case.
- Every case is carefully reviewed, discussed, and prepared for the best defense possible.
- Bond hearings
- Court appearances
- Preliminary hearings
- Negotiation of charges
- Motion hearings
- Plea hearings
Learn more about our qualifications and experience by reviewing summaries of our notable cases.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR CASE REVIEW
- Attorney Review: You will meet with a criminal defense lawyer experienced in defending sex and internet crimes. You will not meet with a paralegal or legal assistant.
- Your Case: You will discuss the facts of your case and all surrounding circumstances with the attorney.
- Rights & Penalties: Learn about your legal rights, criminal court procedure, all available defenses, and sentencing guidelines relevant to conviction. You will also learn the collateral consequences of a conviction, such as they apply to voting rights and gun ownership.
- Legal evaluation is free and confidential.
POSSIBLE DEFENSES TO SEX AND COMPUTER CRIMES
Criminal internet sex charges are challenging to overcome, but allowable defenses are abundant under South Carolina law. Some of the most common defenses to these types of charges are:
- Police have the wrong person
- There has been an accident, mistake, or misunderstanding
- You have an alibi
- You were present, but had nothing to do with the crimes charged
- Insanity or incapacity defenses
- You have been induced to commit the crime by law enforcement (entrapment)
Your attorney will review, in detail, all available defenses to the charges you are facing. You should be prepared with your strongest defense at every stage of the criminal court procedure.
PENALTIES AND CONSEQUENCES
- Jail / Prison time
- Fines and fees
- Possible loss of gun ownership
- Possible loss of the right to vote
- Possible loss of student scholarships
SOUTH CAROLINA INTERNET & SEX CRIME STATUTES
The South Carolina Code of Laws provides detailed information regarding each of the statutes listed below. For more information, please go to:
- 16-3-652.Criminal sexual conduct in the first degree.
- 16-3-653.Criminal sexual conduct in the second degree.
- 16-3-654.Criminal sexual conduct in the third degree.
- 16-3-655.Criminal sexual conduct with a minor; aggravating and mitigating circumstances; penalties; repeat offenders.
- 16-3-656.Criminal sexual conduct: assaults with intent to commit.
- 16-3-658.Criminal sexual conduct: where victim is spouse.
- 16-3-755.Sexual battery with a student.
- 16-3-810.Engaging child for sexual performance; penalty.
- 16-3-820.Producing, directing or promoting sexual performance by child; penalty.
- 16-15-90.Prostitution; lewdness, assignation and prostitution generally.
- 16-15-110.Prostitution; violations.
- 16-15-130.Indecent exposure; breastfeeding.
- 16-15-250.Communicating obscene messages to other persons without consent.
- 16-15-305.Disseminating, procuring or promoting obscenity unlawful; definitions; penalties; obscene material designated contraband.
- 16-15-342.Criminal solicitation of a minor; defenses; penalties.
- 16-15-345.Disseminating obscene material to person under age eighteen prohibited; penalties.
- 16-15-355.Disseminating obscene material to minor twelve years of age or younger prohibited; penalties
- 16-15-365.Exposure of private parts in lewd and lascivious manner, aiding or procuring person to perform such act, or permitting use of premises for such act prohibited; penalties.
- 16-15-385.Disseminating harmful material to minors and exhibiting harmful performance to minor defined; defenses; penalties.
- 16-15-387.Employment of person under eighteen to appear in public in state of sexually explicit nudity; mistake of age; penalties.
- 16-15-395.First degree sexual exploitation of a minor defined; presumptions; defenses; penalties.
- 16-15-405.Second degree sexual exploitation of a minor defined; presumptions; defenses; penalties.
- 16-15-410.Third degree sexual exploitation of a minor defined; penalties; exception.
- 16-15-415.Promoting prostitution of a minor defined; defenses; penalties.
- 16-17-470.Eavesdropping, peeping, voyeurism.
- 16-17-490.Contributing to delinquency of a minor.
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Sexual battery
- P2P – Peer-to-Peer file sharing
- Serious Offense / Most Serious Offense